I'm author ELLE STRAUSS and welcome to my website.
I write fun, lower Young Adult (teen) fiction to do with whimsical things like time-travel, fairies and merfolk (with a nice helping of romance!) When my serious side peeks out, she's called LEE STRAUSS. She likes to write upper YA/adult about romance in the past, present and future.
There's always a TIME for romance!!
This blog is about books, mine and other fab authors', but occasionally I'll share about other topics. Thanks for dropping by!
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
My Advice for Aspiring Authors
I think my answer might surprise some people. It's actually a three part response and the first two are expected. The third might not be.
Here's my standard reply:
Read a lot. Write a lot.
And don't put all your eggs into the writing basket. Live a balanced life.
What? Really? That's it???
Yes, there's a lot more to do than read and write. There's editing, revising, developing craft, blogging, social networking, marketing, live events, interviews, guest posts, blog tours, collecting reviews and every kind of crazy making.
If you let it. Don't let it.
Here's another truth: Most authors, even ones traditionally published, don't make their whole living off their writing.
MOST. That might be hard to believe if you go by all the fabulous writers we hear about all the time, making the NYT list, always on book tours and key speaking at conferences. But like many art disciplines, for example acting and music, 10% of the people make it big and the other 90% struggle and starve.
I'm not trying to discourage anyone. In fact, I'm trying to do the opposite. If you accept that you are part of the 90% and find other things in life that you enjoy and can make money at you will be happier. You will be more content. You will be more creative.
And if you happen to wake up one day and find you've somehow made it into the 10% crowd, then yahoo! Good for you. But at least you didn't waste years pinning away after something that you may not get. Instead you have years of creative productivity you can look back on with immense personal satisfaction.
You can say, "I did this." And it will be enough.